Click to Home

Go To Search
Registering to Vote
How to Register to Vote

Find out where you are registered.

You can register to vote for federal, state, and local elections by mail, at your county or city clerk's office, or by visiting any secretary of state branch office using a registration form. You must register at least 30 days before the election. This gives the clerk time to process the forms and send you a Voter Identification Card. You must also re-register to vote whenever you move to a new city or township. To register to vote you must be:
  • A U.S. citizen
  • At least 18 years of age by election day
  • A resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote

First-Time Voters
If you have never voted in Michigan and register by mail, you may be subject to a new identification requirement provided under federal law. The identification requirement is explained on the mail-in registration form. You also must appear in-person to vote in the first election in which you wish to participate. The requirement to appear in-person does not apply if:
  • You personally hand-deliver the mail registration form to your county, city, or township clerk's office instead of mailing the form
  • You are 60 years of age or more
  • You are disabled 
  • You are eligible to vote under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act

Registration Addresses
Effective April 1, 2000, Michigan law requires that the same address be used for voter registration and driver license purposes.


Whenever you move to a new city or township, you must re-register to vote. If you move within a city or township, you must update your address. This can be handled through your local clerk, at a secretary of state branch office, or by mail. Michigan voters must use the same residential address for voter registration and driver's license purposes. Consequently, if you submit a driver's license address change, it will be applied to your voter registration. Similarly, if you submit a voter registration address change, it will be applied to your driver's license.

If you are temporarily outside the U.S., please visit the secretary of state’s Election Department's "MOVE Act" page. A Michigan resident who moves and registers out of state may not re-register to vote in Michigan until he or she reestablishes residency here. You may also register at the same time you renew your driver's license by mail. Eligible drivers receive a voter registration application in the mail with their driver's license renewal information.

The City of St. Clair Shores27600 Jefferson Circle Drive, St. Clair Shores, MI 48081